Fundamentals of Coaching
Study Abroad Semester
Study Abroad Semester
and Summer School
Take advantage of this unique opportunity to develop your coaching skills while studying in and around London’s famous Wembley Stadium. This three-week, 15-credit interactive programme run by the UCFB Coaching Academy is the perfect foundation for any aspiring coach interested in progressing their career in football.
Hosted in UCFB’s world-class facilities and taught by some of the UK’s most respected football coaches, the programme will provide the knowledge and skills necessary to coach at youth level and the base to move into more advanced coaching in future.
This programme will launch in the summer of 2018. Academic calendar dates will be announced soon.
Classes are held daily from Monday through Thursday for a total credit load of 15 UK credits (4 U.S credits or 7.5 ECTS credits). Lectures are supplemented with tutorials and seminars.
FB499 The Fundamentals of Coaching
This module will look closely at the key fundamental components of coaching in general, before enhancing candidates’ knowledge of coaching young players. It will work on developing coaches’ appreciation for the principles of coaching practice, while identifying the significant roles and responsibilities of a good coach when working with youth players. Fundamentals of coaching will essentially provide the coaches with a ‘coaching toolkit’ and the vital skills required to coach effectively at youth level.
• Identify key skills of a football coach
• Explain the roles and responsibilities of a coach and the different levels of coaching
• Compare and contrast key characteristics of a football coach
• Distinguish the importance of ethics and codes of conduct within coaching practice dealing with young players
Students will receive a transcript from UCFB’s validating partner, Bucks New University, for all modules successfully completed. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure, if needed, that credits will transfer to their home institution.
Professional Football Scouts Association (PFSA) Scouting Course+
In addition to the 15 credit module, students will also complete Levels 1 and 2 of the PFSA Talent Identification in Football course. Accredited by NCFE (National Awarding body), the PFSA Level 2 has been taken by many ex-professional footballers and current Heads of Recruitment to further their knowledge of Talent ID. Modules cover talent Identification, safeguarding children, and player, team and match analysis in football.
The academic programme will be enhanced by UCFB’s unique Complementary Curriculum™, taking learning out of the classroom and putting it into real business context, helping students to gain practical experience, develop transferable skills and build their global network through Executive Speaker sessions and organized excursions.
Previous Complementary Curriculum guest speakers have included:
• Jamie Carragher – Former professional football player and Sky Sports pundit
• Peter Salmon – Global Creative Chief at Endemol shine, former Director, England at the BBC
• Hayley McQueen – Sky Sports News presenter
• Julie Harrington – Chief Executive of British Cycling
• Neil Doncaster – Chief Executive at Scottish Professional Football League
• Rachel Brown-Finnis – Former Everton and England football player
• Steve McClaren – Derby County Manager; former England, Newcastle United and FC Twente Manager
• George Cohen – 1966 World Cup winner with England
• Mike Phelan – Manager at Hull City AFC and former Assistant Manager to Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United
• Sean Dyche – Manager at Burnley Football Club
• David Moyes – Manager at Sunderland AFC
Our Student Services team is on hand to help throughout the programme, providing support in all aspects of life to ensure that students have the tools needed to enjoy a memorable London experience:
• Comprehensive orientation on arrival, including: introduction to UCFB academics and services, stadium induction, tour of local amenities, guided tour of central London and main sights
• 24-hour emergency phone-line
• Dedicated Student Advisor
• Extra-curricular social programme of evening and weekend activities, including recreational sports (e.g. football, basketball, tennis, go-karting), comedy nights, quizzes, community outreach, club visits and excursions in and around the London area.
Optional accommodation is available with our partner halls of residence, Unite Students at Unite Olympic Way, offering summer participants modern student accommodation located just a few minutes’ walk from the UCFB Wembley campus and facilities.
Newly opened in 2016 the accommodation is located on Wembley Way in the heart of Wembley Park, surrounded by the world-famous stadium and the countless shops, restaurants and bars that form part of the designer outlet just a couple of minutes’ walk away. Wembley Park Underground station is also just down the road, offering easy access to central London in less than 20 minutes.
Furnished to a high standard the halls have en-suite bedrooms, contemporary kitchens, free Wi-Fi and broadband internet, a laundry room and shared common areas including TV rooms, study areas and a large outdoor area with games tables and deck chairs.
Classic En-Suite Room – £169 per week:
En-suite rooms are packed with features such as a private bathroom, a comfortable three-quarter size bed, your own desk and Wi-Fi connected work space. You will have a shared lounge and fully fitted kitchen area to relax in with your flat mates, usually 6-10 people per flat. You’ll find plenty of room for your stuff with a large wardrobe and under-bed storage space.
Should you wish to apply for optional accommodation please complete the Booking Form (click here for booking form) and return together with your application. UCFB will then send your details to the accommodation provider who will contact you to complete their booking process.
Admissions and Applications+
Details for 2018 will be announced soon.
Please see below for entry requirements and fees:
The Fundamentals of Coaching programme is open to students who have completed at least their high school diploma and are aged 18 or above.
For students who are not native English speakers, proof of English proficiency through previous study or an IELTS score of 6.0 is requested.
Please note that for non EU/EEA nationals a short-term study visa is required to study in the UK.
Programme fees for summer 2017 are £2,650.
- Tuition for 15 UK credits
- Complementary Curriculum™ activities, visits and speakers
- PFSA Scouting Level 1 and 2 qualifications
- Comprehensive orientation session and materials, including stadium induction, academic policies, student services and tour of local facilities
- Walking tour of central London
- Welcome dinner
- Student Services fee:
- Dedicated Student Services Advisor
- 24-hour health and safety emergency number
- Extra-curricular activities (some may have an additional cost)
- A one-day weekend field trip.
- Facilities rental for practical sessions.
- Dedicated Personal Tutor for intellectual, academic, social, and spiritual interests and support
- Oyster card for travel on London Underground and buses
- UCFB certificate of attendance
Bucks New University transcript for completed course
Fees do not include travel, accommodation, student kit, books, meals, international health insurance, visa fees and additional living costs and personal expenses.
Payment should be made via bank transfer in pound sterling (£). All bank charges are the responsibility of the fee payer.
A 50% deposit is required to confirm enrolment. The balance is due one week prior to the programme start.
For further details on the application process and programme fees please contact Mina Chakmagi at email@example.com.
* Subject to validation.