International Strategic Leadership and Management Programme
Study Abroad Semester
Study Abroad Semester
and Summer School
Put your management skills to test in this unique one-week programme, led by Neil Doncaster, Chief Executive of the Scottish Professional Football League and a former director of both The Football Association and English Football League. Participants are placed in the context of a director or senior manager and will work through realistic football and sport situations based on real life scenarios and problems faced within the industry.
Based in and around the iconic Wembley stadium, students can expect to develop their general business, leadership and soft skills in a positive, supportive and fun environment, adding valuable international experience to the resume of anyone interested in a future career in management.
Sunday 8th – Saturday 14th July 2018
|Sunday 8th July||Arrival and check-in|
|Monday 9th July||Classes start|
|Friday 13th July||Classes end|
|Saturday 14thJuly||Check-out and departure|
Full day workshops and press conferences in the following three main areas will be complemented by cultural activities and field trips:
Using a real-time, fast-moving exercise you will work in small groups, playing the role of the management team running a Premier League football club. You will face a number of crises on the day of a match. Working under time pressure and in the glare of the ‘media spotlight’, you will come up with realistic solutions to the problems you face. The day will end with a ‘press conference’ when your team will be quizzed on the solutions you have put forward during the day.
Conflict and disagreement are inevitable when differing needs, wants, aims and beliefs come together. Without negotiation, such conflicts may lead to argument and resentment, resulting in one or all of the parties feeling dissatisfied. This practical session will explain negotiation skills theory and give you practice in teams, negotiating a commercial deal and a football player’s contract.
All of us will, at some point, have to deal with the media. This session will develop the skills needed to handle all types of media interviews, including traditional office-based meetings, radio and television interviews and the more intimidating ‘doorstep’ encounters with journalists. Through realistic, simulated interviews you will learn how to set your own agenda and effectively deal with tough questions from the media.
Our Student Services team is on hand to help throughout the programme, providing support in all aspects of life to ensure that students have the tools needed to enjoy a safe and memorable London experience:
- Comprehensive orientation on arrival, including: introduction to UCFB academics and services, stadium induction, tour of local amenities, guided tour of central London and main sights
- 24-hour emergency phone-line
- Dedicated Student Advisor
- Extra-curricular social programme including evening activities and a one-day field trip outside London. Previous activities have included social darts, a West End musical or a visit to enjoy the spectacular View from the Shard, as well as field trips further afield to places such as Cambridge, Brighton and Stonehenge.
The programme includes accommodation in shared rooms in a 4* hotel just minutes’ walk from the UCFB Wembley stadium campus. Breakfast is provided daily.
In the immediate vicinity students will have access to the London Designer Outlet, home to around 70 designer outlet stores, 15 restaurants and a nine-screen cinema, while the museums, galleries, sights, shops and attractions of central London can easily be reached by the Underground in just 12 minutes.
Admissions and Applications+
To apply for the International Strategic Leadership and Management Programme , please request the application form.
Applications are processed on a rolling basis and students should expect to receive a response within one week of submitting their application.
Please see below for entry requirements and fees:
The International Strategic Leadership and Management Programme is open to UK and international participants who are not currently enrolled at a UK higher education institution, who have completed at least their high school diploma and are aged 18 or above.
Programme fees for summer 2018 are £1,350 (inc VAT).
- Lectures and workshops with Neil Doncaster, Chief Executive of Scottish Professional Football League
- Housing in double/triple bedrooms in a hotel including breakfast
- Comprehensive orientation session and materials, including stadium induction, academic policies, student services and tour of the local facilities
- Walking tour of central London
- Welcome dinner, group dinner and farewell dinner
- Student Services fee:
- Dedicated Student Services Advisor
- 24-hour health and safety emergency number
- Extra-curricular activities (some may have an additional cost)
- A one-day field trip (TBD)
- Oyster card for travel on London Underground and buses
- UCFB International Management Games certificate.
Fees do not include travel, meals not listed, international health insurance, visa fees and additional living costs and personal expenses.
Payment should be made via bank transfer in pound sterling (£). All bank charges are the responsibility of the fee payer.
A 50% deposit is required to confirm enrolment. The balance is due one week prior to the programme start.
For further details on the application process and programme fees, please contact Mina Chakmagi at firstname.lastname@example.org.