Do I need to apply for a visa?

You will need a visa to study in the UK unless:

• You are a British citizen;
• You are a citizen of a European Economic Area (EEA) member state or Switzerland;
• You have a visa to stay in the UK for another purpose that allows you to study.

If you are still unsure if you require a visa you can check on the United Kingdom Visa and Immigration (UKVI) website here.

If your programme is longer than six months you will need to apply for a Tier 4 visa. If your programme is six months or less you will need to apply for a Short Term Study visa (STSV). If you think you require a STSV please contact

To apply for a Tier 4 visa, you will require a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) –To be eligible for a tier four visa you need to obtain 40 points from UKVI. You receive 30 points for a valid CAS statement and 10 points for showing the correct finances.

As well as obtaining 40 points you may need to pass an interview. The UKVI can refuse your visa application based on your interview, even if you obtain 40 points.